For some of us, the winter chill has finally started to set in, and there's no better way to keep warm than to layer it up! Layering might sound simple enough - put on a piece of clothing, put on another piece of clothing, done! But in reality, layering is a bit of an art form. Layer the wrong way and you either look crazy, frumpy, or a mixture of both. The good news is, if you keep reading this, you'll have the tools to layer like a pro!
Starting With The Obvious
These really don't even need much of an introduction. So let's jump right in.
1. Scarves - Scarves don't only serve the purpose of keeping your neck warm. They can be the final touch needed to add a fun print or a bright color to any outfit. Here are a few of my favorite styles.
2. Vests - Vests have gained a lot of popularity over the years. They're non-restricting and come in a variety of textures and styles to keep you cozy but chic. Check these out.
Layering Staple: Button Downs
From chambray tops to comfy flannel, button down shirts are a very versatile layering staple. You can wear them as the top layer left unbuttoned, or seen in the examples below as a bottom layer.
2. Button Down + Dress - This can be done with either a long sleeve or sleeveless dress and can be styled to look flirty and fun or more prim and professional.
4. Plaid Shirt + Plain Sweater - This is the perfect combo of comfort and style. An otherwise plain sweater is made warmer and more interesting with a peak of plaid.
5. Cropped Sweater + Button Down - Thought crop tops were only for the summer (and the daring)? Think again. Pair a cropped knit sweater with a chiffon button down to keep you modest, warm, and fashion forward.
A good rule of thumb is to consider the weight of your pieces when you're pairing them together if you are concerned with looking too bulky. For example, wearing skinny jeans or leggings with bulky sweaters and large coats.
6. Chunky Sweater + Fitted Long Sleeve - This is a great way to achieve the aforementioned balance. You'll stay warm, but without any unwanted extra bulk.
Dresses In The Winter
Yep, you read that right! As you saw earlier with layering button downs under a dress, you can totally rock your favorite lace mini dress even when the temps drop. Just make sure to wear tights underneath if it's extra cold to keep those legs warm. See below for a couple of great examples.
7. Lace Dress, Cardigan, + Tights - Throw in a chambray top in between the cardigan and dress for even more warmth and a fun additional texture.
8. Mini, Long Boots, + Chunky Sweater - If it isn't quite cold enough to need tights, consider a long pair of boots instead. Pair a chunky sweater with a mini dress or skirt of a different texture - like this cable knit & leather combo - to keep the look from feeling too flat.
One Final Tip
If you find that your under layers are looking a little messy - especially in the case of a button down under a more lightweight sweater - try placing a v-neck tank between the layers to keep everything smooth.
If you found this helpful, make sure to spread the word by giving us a like and a share on Facebook! Also, be sure to visit the Outfits For Life Pinterest for tons of daily outfit inspo and fashion tips.